Lakeport Cluster supports a local Neighborhood Watch Program that patrols our area and calls police if something suspicious is noticed. This is an official program where neighbors work cooperatively with the Fairfax County Police Department in order to minimize crime in the neighborhood.
PLEASE EMAIL THE BOARD IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BECOMING A VOLUNTEER OR THE COORDINATOR. Being a volunteer only requires an interest in the safety of your environment and about 15 minutes, once every few months. Each participant is asked to walk or drive through the cluster, make note of any kind of suspicious activity, and report it to the police and neighborhood watch coordinators. Thanks to all who participate in our Neighborhood Watch!
Even if you aren’t officially part of our Neighborhood Watch program, please keep the following in mind:
- Always lock your home (even when you’re there) and car (even when in your driveway) and remove your phone and other valuables from sight.
- Keep yourself secure by paying attention to your surroundings and others near you, especially at night.
- If you see a crime in progress, call 911.
- If you see suspicious activity or to report vandalism or another crime that has already occurred, don’t confront anybody; instead call the non-emergency number, 703-691-2131. The police request that even if you just have a “gut feeling” something is wrong that you notify them with as many details as possible. Police will be dispatched (or you may be able to a report over the phone). Also notify Lakeport’s Neighborhood Watch coordinator. Please pay special attention to suspicious activity or sounds near the Lakeport dock or at night.
- Click here for more information on how to handle a crime.