Design Standards Committee
By Kelly Driscoll
If you have not already done so, please fill out the survey about possible changes to Lakeport’s design standards relating to roofs, front doors, and screen doors found at https://goo.gl/forms/WDXxr9B2j5YTwSRR2. Feedback on the proposed changes will also be solicited at the March 12 Special Meeting and discussed at the March 14 Board meeting; therefore the survey deadline will be extended to noon on March 14.
Clarification: The new options for front doors would be an addition to existing options, not a replacement.
Additionally, after updating the siding standards last year, Lakeport Cluster now has two documents relating to siding standards (approved in 2014 and 2017), which is confusing. At the suggestion of Reston Association, we have drafted a revised standard that combines the content of the two existing versions and clarifies siding requirements for Lakeport (see below). The new version, for review by RA’s Design Review Board (DRB) on April 3, does not make any changes to the current standards but does include the following clarifications:
· Describes standards for phase 1 and phase 2 homes in a single document
· For Phase 2 homes: differentiates the requirements for replacing less than 25% of the siding (ONLY cedar siding can be used if that is what the house currently has) vs. replacing more than 25% (ALL of existing cedar siding needs to be replaced with HardiePlank, with DRB review required)
· Clarifies that replacement using HardiePlank no longer requires all contiguous units in a building to install HardiePlank at the same time, as was the case in Lakeport’s 2014 standard but was removed in the 2017 amendment
· Clarifies that all options for trim from the original first standard still apply
Please contact Kelly Driscoll (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the board with questions or concerns. If you have a concern about the new version of the siding standard, you may register as an “affected party” by emailing email@example.com.
PROPOSED REVISED STANDARD:
Siding and Trim Standards for Phase 1 homes in Lakeport Cluster (units 1951-53-55-57-59 and 1944-46-48-50-52)
- Approved standard for replacement siding includes the following material with color to match Olympic “Monterey Grey” or Olympic “Beachwood” on other homes in the same building:
- The only option is finished channel-design overlapped cedar boards with horizontal orientation and a 4.75" exposure (repeat).
- Phase 1 homes may not use HardiePlank because there is no HardiePlank equivalent to the interlocking channel cedar siding used for Phase 1 homes).
b. Approved standard for replacement trim includes the following materials with color to match McCormick “Amber White” #101 or “Wheat” #108 on other homes in the same building:
- wood trim
with the stipulation that the dimensions, profile and color of the replacement trim match that of the existing.
Siding and Trim Standards for Phase 2 homes in Lakeport Cluster (all other units)
- Approved standard for replacement siding includes the following materials with color to match Olympic “Monterey Grey” or Olympic “Beachwood” on other homes in the same building:
- If 25% or less of the siding is to be replaced, the only option is rough-sawn bevel-design overlapped cedar boards with horizontal orientation and a 6" exposure (repeat).
- If more than 25% of the siding is to be replaced, the only option is HardiePlank, Select Cedar Mill, primed, lap siding, 6” exposure) with the following stipulations:
- that proposals for all siding replacements be submitted to staff for approval with proof of notification to all adjacent property owners with shared elements (party walls and chimneys);
- that the surface of shared chimneys be covered with the same siding material;
- that repairs to more than 25% of the house will be considered a replacement and result in the requirement that existing cedar be replaced with HardiePlank ;
- that any homeowner replacing cedar siding with HardiePlank replace the siding on all elevations, including the interior of the shared party wall(s), at the same time with HardiePlank;
- that new siding exactly match the existing in overall exposure and trim profile.
- Approved standard for replacement trim includes the following materials with color to match McCormick “Amber White” #101 or “Wheat” #108 on other homes in the same building:
- wood trim
with the following stipulations:
1. that the dimensions, profile and color of the replacement trim match that of the existing; and
2. that all trim on the house be replaced at the same time if HardiePlank is used.