By James Pan
The issue is not limited to the Reston District, police said, adding that vehicle break-ins and unlocked cars have become “easy targets” for suspects. “It is important that the community works together to prevent easy access to unattended cars,” police said. “Often, suspects will walk around a community and check for unlocked cars. Sometimes these suspects get lucky because keys are left inside the vehicle.”
FCPD issued the following tips to protect vehicles:
- Lock your car and avoid leaving your keys in the car.
- Park in public places with lots of streetlights.
- Keep the windows rolled up when you park.
- Install car alarm systems and/or GPS systems.
- Do not leave any personal or valuable belongings inside your car.
- Do not leave your car turned on and unattended.
- Do not leave a spare key where it can be found.
- Utilize security cameras and floodlights.
- Know where you’re going.
- Practice proper automotive maintenance.
- Always stay aware of your surroundings.
- Do not store important personal documents in your vehicle.
- Report suspicious activity to the FCPD non-emergency number at (703) 691-2131. If you have an emergency, call 911.
Source: FFXNOW, June 28, 2023