- Although the cluster’s landscaping contractor takes care of common areas, our own driveways, yards, and other areas are our responsibility. Residents should not dump what they collect into the wooded common areas. Instead, they should dispose of leaves and other debris (e.g., fallen branches, dead outdoor potted annuals) from yards, patios, driveways, decks, and entranceways by placing them in large compostable paper yard-waste bags available at home improvement stores. Pickup for yard waste is Thursdays.
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors.
- Do a semi-annual check of the furnace/heat pump to minimize the likelihood of a surprise malfunction during cold weather.
- Turn off the valves of the water lines to outdoor spigots. Typically, the valves are located in the same room as the hot water heater. After turning off the water, open the outdoor spigot to drain the line so that there is no water in the line to freeze over the winter.
- This is also a good time to check the water pressure regulator valve to make sure there are no leaks or cracks (see separate article in this edition of Ripples for more details).
- Check weatherstripping on outside doors and replace as necessary to reduce heating loss.
Post a Comment