Homes in Lakeport Cluster, which are more than 30 years old, are unique in several ways. This checklist is designed with Lakeport homes in mind. The Board has been building a checklist with suggestions that will reduce major repairs in the future. Your help in keeping this list current and relevant is essential. Please send suggestions to Board@LakeportCluster.org.
Most maintenance in the winter involves minimizing the snow and ice around the home. It is also important to make sure home heating equipment is functioning properly.
- Snow and ice removal – Clear snow or ice from your driveway and walkway and the Lakeport walkway in front of your home (if applicable). Consider de-icing the driveway using pet- and environment-friendly products available at home improvement stores. Shovel decks to avoid water leakage into the house.
- Ice that accumulates in gutters and downspouts can be harmful to the heat retention of the house and can allow water to enter the home. Where possible, and when it can be accomplished safely, remove icicles from gutters and downspouts.
- In past winters several Lakeport residents have had to deal with burst water pipes as a result of freezing temperatures. If you have pipes that are vulnerable, you should take steps to avoid broken pipes and potentially costly damage and repairs. It is also a good idea to arrange with a neighbor to have access to each other’s homes in case one or the other of you is out of town when this (or some other emergency) arises.
- Turn off outdoor water spigots from inside the house while leaving the spigot open (to drain the line). The valve is usually in a storage area near the hot water heater or utility tub or in the storage area on the lower level.
- If you have disaster preparedness kits, check expiration dates and batteries. If you don’t have one, consider assembling emergency preparedness items, including for your car in case you are stranded in a snowstorm. See Disaster Preparedness Plan at https://www.lakeportcluster.org/p/disaster-preparedness-plan.html for more information.