In response to this request, Lakeport now has a Disaster Preparedness web site and a Disaster Preparedness Committee, chaired by James Pan. Please go to the web site (https://www.lakeportcluster.org/p/disaster-preparedness-plan.html) and read the two documents that are linked there: a Disaster Preparedness Guide and items to include in Disaster Preparedness Kits. In addition, even if you choose not to prepare full-blown Disaster Kits, we recommend that you do at least the following:
- store copies of important papers in a safe place out of your house
- make sure you have basic emergency items at your home (e.g., fire extinguisher, first-aid supplies, flashlight)
- consider collecting in one place in your home those items that could be used in case of an emergency or disaster (see the document on disaster preparedness kits for a list)
- keep basic emergency items in your car, including a paper copy of emergency contact phone numbers (in case you don’t have your charged cell phone with you)
- have a comfortable pair of shoes and socks at work (in case you ever have to walk a long distance to get home)
The County recommends that communities prepare an inventory of skills and equipment available in case of a disaster. If you have any of the skills or resources indicated below and are willing to share them in the event of a disaster, please email James Pan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Board (Board@lakeportcluster.org). Because this inventory will be used only in the case of a disaster, it will not be shared or posted on the web (only James and Board members will have copies).
- Medical training (e.g., M.D. or nursing /physician assistant degree; experience/training with Emergency Response Team, Red Cross, military, public safety, medical care, first aid, counseling)
- Repair skills (e.g., carpentry, electrical, plumbing, telephone, gas company)
- Source of power for charging electronics (e.g., solar or generator)
- Equipment or supplies that might be helpful during or after a disaster (e.g., chain saw, snow blower, bicycle helmet or hard hat, vehicle with four-wheel drive)
If you have questions or feedback, please email James Pan (email@example.com).